Last Updated: October 25, 2023
1. What information may be collected?
- During your use of the Services (whether as a registered or unregistered user), you may provide us with information that relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you (collectively, â€śPersonal Informationâ€ť). Personal Information may be collected directly from you, for instance when you contact us via customer support, sign up for an account, make advertisement inquiries, or sign up for marketing emails. Personal Information may also be collected automatically via your use of the Services or obtained from third parties.
Personal Information collected may include:
- Contact Information, including your name, e-mail address, phone number, and address.
- Account Information, including your name, email address, and password.
Donation Information, including your name, country, postal code, and donation amount.
- You may be required to provide financial or bank information prior to making a donation. Please note, we do not store financial and bank information; such information is processed and stored by our payment processor, Stripe, Inc. For more information on Stripeâ€™s security practices, please visit .
When using our Services from a mobile device (a â€śMobile Serviceâ€ť), you may share the geographic location of your device with us if you have consented to location services generally through your deviceâ€™s settings or accepted our request for geolocation access. Your device location may be transmitted to us whenever a Mobile Service is running (even if you are not actively using the Mobile Service or it is running in the background on your device). Your device may continue to transmit its location to us until you change your device settings.
- If you set your device not to transmit location information to us, certain features of our Services may not be available or their functions may be limited. For example, you will have to manually enter a location when conducting a search. Service Usage Information.
- Information Received from Third Parties. In some instances, we may receive Personal Information and/or anonymous data about you from other parties, such as our affiliates, business partners, service providers, and other third parties. That information may be obtained online, offline, or through publicly available resources. We may combine this information with the information you provide and other data we already have about you. We may also receive information about you from social media platforms when you interact with us on those platforms or access our social media content. Please note that the information we may receive from those third parties (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube) is governed by the privacy settings, policies and/or procedures of the applicable platform, and we strongly encourage you to review them before submitting any information using a social media platform.
- Information Provided for Third Parties. Some of the Services allow you to provide us with Personal Information relating to other parties. For example, our donation functionality may allow you to share a donation link with family and friends by providing us access to Personal Information such as names, email addresses, or phone numbers of your family and friends (collectively, â€śThird-Party Dataâ€ť). If you use any feature of the Services that allows you to submit Third-Party Data to the Services or otherwise permit the Services to automatically access Third-Party Data in your possession, you acknowledge, represent, and agree that: (a) you have the authority of the relevant other party for us to access and use the relevant Third-Party Data, and (b) you have notified these other parties and informed them how their information is collected and used by us to provide the Services. We reserve the right to identify you as the person who has made the referral in any messages that are sent to other parties. We use Third-Party Data to: (a) contact such party using the Third-Party Data provided, and/or (b) provide you with an editable template message designed to facilitate communication between you and such party through the Services. We may also send reminders or related messages to you and to other parties on your behalf from time to time, as and where permitted by applicable law.
2. How is your Personal Information used?
We or our service providers may use the Personal Information we collect from or about you to perform the following functions:
- Provide the Services. We may use your Personal Information to provide the Services and any other services you may request from us.
- Monitor the Services. We collect your Personal Information for monitoring purposes to help us diagnose problems with our servers, administer and troubleshoot the Services, calculate usage levels, analyze industry standards, and analyze transactions, trends, and statistics regarding the use of the Services.
- Facilitating Donations. We collect your Personal Information to facilitate donations made to us via the Services.
- Respond to Inquiries and Fulfill Requests. We may use your Personal Information to respond to your inquiries and to fulfill your requests for information.
- Communicate with You. We may use your Personal Information to send you marketing information about the Services, special promotions, and other items that may be of interest to you. We may also contact you on behalf of our third-party business partners about a particular offering of theirs that may be of interest to you.
- Improve the Services. We may use your Personal Information to make the Services more stable and user-friendly, to analyze service issues, improve the design and content of the Services, analyze how the Services are used, offer new services, and to develop new Services and programs relating to the Services.
- Personalize the Services. We may use your Personal Information to personalize the Services based on your usage data, interests, and history with us. We may also localize the content and articles that are displayed to you based on your geographical location.
- Advertise to You. We may use your Personal Information to tailor ads displayed to you in the Services and elsewhere.
- Support Business Operations. We may use your Personal Information to support our internal and business operations, including to conduct internal and external audit requirements or market research, analytics, security, and to assess your level of interest in and use of the Services, e-mails, and other messaging campaigns, both on an individual basis and in aggregate.
3. How do we share the information we collect?
- Subsidiaries and Affiliates. We may disclose Personal Information about you to our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Marketing Partners. We may share your Personal Information with entities that perform marketing or data aggregation services on our behalf, or with which we have joint marketing arrangements.
- Advertising Partners. We may share your Personal Information with third-party advertising partners, including but not limited to Google Display Advertising and Remarketing services. These advertising partners may use first- and third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to the Services. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other services) for purposes of delivering personalized advertisements to you when you visit digital properties within their networks, commonly referred to as â€śinterest-based advertising.â€ť
- Analytics Partners. We may use analytics-based technologies to assist with personalization, advertising, and marketing. These technologies capture how you interact with the Services through behavioral metrics, heatmaps, and session replay to improve and market our products and services.
- Payment Processors. We may disclose certain Personal Information to financial institutions as necessary for the Services.
- Authorized Representatives. If another individual is managing your account with us or your email account which the Services connect to on your behalf (for example, a wife managing the account of a husband), as authorized by you or as a personal representative under applicable law, that person can view all Personal Information about you on the Services.
- In the Event of Merger, Sale, Divestitures, or Change of Control. We reserve the right to transfer Personal Information to a buyer or other successor in interest that acquires rights to that information as a result of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of us or substantially all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about you is among the assets transferred.
- With Your Consent. We may share your information for other purposes pursuant to your consent or at your direction.
4. How do we secure your Personal Information?
We use reasonable technical, administrative and physical security measures designed to protect Personal Information collected via our Services. We cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from unauthorized access or use (e.g., by hackers). You use the Services, and send us information, at your own risk.
If you correspond with us by e-mail, text message, or using a â€śContact usâ€ť feature on our Service, a third party could intercept the information you send in transit, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send. We have no liability relating to disclosure of your information due to errors, omissions or unauthorized acts or failures to act by third parties during or after transmission.
If you create an account on our Services, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and you shall be responsible for any activity, including disclosure of your Personal Information, that occurs using your account credentials, whether or not you authorized such activity. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
5. Cookies and other tracking technologies
What are cookies? Cookies are small pieces of text.â€ŻThey are provided by most websites and stored by your web browser on the computer, phone, or other device that you are using.â€ŻCookies serve many purposes, such as help a website remember your preferences, learn which areas of the website are useful and which areas need improvement, and provide you with targeted advertisements or personalized content.â€ŻSometimes, cookies are enabled when pixels are placed on a website. Pixels, also referred to as web beacons, clear gifs, and tags, enable websites to read and place cookies.
Cookies can be first-party or third-party.â€ŻA first-party cookie is one that you receive directly from APwhen visiting our Site.â€ŻA third-party cookie is one that you have received from another party.â€Ż We do not control what third parties do on other sites.â€ŻWe may work with certain third-party providers to permit their cookies to function through our Site e so we can learn more about your web experience on our Site and better personalize our Services for you.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or our service providers or partners on our behalf (for more information on our Third-Party Analytics Providers and Third-Party Ad Servers and Networks, see below). These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to your computer or device, and to relate information about your use of the Services to other information about you, including your Personal Information. These technologies also enable us to recognize you when you access our Services using different web browsers or devices.
The circumstances in which we may deploy tracking technologies include:
- HTML5 may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Service usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Services are being used by our visitors, how our Services may be improved, and to customize our Services for our users.
How can you manage cookies?
- A cookie banner will be displayed to users of our Services who are located in the European Economic Area (â€śEEAâ€ť) or the UK, which will invite users to give their consent, where applicable, and will provide further options for the management of cookies.
- You can change your cookie preferences in our Cookie Preference Center, which you can access by going to the navigation menu (upper left corner of the Site), scrolling down to â€śYour Privacy Rightsâ€ť, and clicking on here.
You can manage website cookies in your browser settings. If you choose to change your settings, you may find that certain functions and features will not work as intended on the Services. All browser settings are slightly different, so to manage cookies, you should refer to the relevant settings within your browser. Please click below for detailed information on how to disable and delete cookies in some commonly used browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox:â€Ż
- Microsoft Internet Explorer:â€Ż
- Microsoft Edge:
- Google Chrome:â€Ż
- Safari Mac:â€Ż
- Safari iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch:
6. Links and connections to Third-Party Services
We may also include tools in our Services that allow you to share or publicly post content from our Services to your profile on a third-party social network. You may choose to share information about your activities on the Service with such third-party platforms and its users, including publishing your information about what content you may have viewed on our Services. If you visit a Service while logged into certain social media platforms, the social media platform may be able to identify your browser and associate the technical information provided by your web browser with other information that they have already collected about you, which may result in their ability to identify you. In addition, when you choose to share information about your activities on the Service with certain social media platforms, APmay send technical information about you to that platform as well as information about what content you are viewing.
Third-Party Websites and Content
We use JW Player to serve video across our Services. Information about the data collected via the JW Player can be found , specifically under Section B. JW Player Technology.
We encourage you to read the privacy statements of services visited through our Services or websites visited after leaving our Services to learn about how your information is treated by others.
Third-Party Analytics Providers
- We use Google Analytics on the Services to help us analyze the traffic on the Services. For more information on Google Analyticsâ€™ processing of Personal Information, please see . You may opt-out of the use of Google Analytics .
- We use Scorecard to measure. digital consumption behavior data, which may include information about online activities, and video streaming activities, among other activities, as part of its broad market research efforts. For more information regarding Scorecardâ€™s privacy practices please visit .
- We use Parse.ly to assess content performance. For more information regarding Parse.lyâ€™s privacy practices, please visit .
Third-Party Ad Servers and Networks
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Services.
For more information about third-party advertisers and how to prevent them from using your information, please visit the Network Advertising Initiativeâ€™s Consumer Opt-Out Page at: .
To opt-out of interest-based advertising by participating Digital Advertising Alliance members:
For US residents, please go to:
For Canadian residents, please go to:
For residents of the EU, Switzerland or the UK, please go to:
You may also visit the websites of these third parties set forth below. Please note that this list may be subject to change based on the campaigns that we run.
For Connatixâ€™s, please visit:â€Ż
For Taboola, please visit:â€Ż and/or Taboolaâ€™s Trust Center at:
For Nativo, please visit:â€Ż
For Google Publisher Tags, please visit:â€Ż
For Verve, please visit:â€Ż
For Smaato, please visit:
For Wunderkind, please visit:
For Pubmatic, please visit:
For OpenX, please visit:
For Sovrn, please visit:
For Comscore, please visit: (to opt-out of data collected by Comscore globally)
(to opt-out of Comscoreâ€™s sharing for Internet-Based Advertising purposes).
In some instances, we collect data and work with third parties to show you personalized ads of behalf of our advertisers. Liveramp is one of these advertisers. To opt-out, please visit Liveramp at:â€Ż
Note that if you opt-out of any third-party data collection described in this section, we may still suggest offerings (including content sponsored by third-parties) to you on our Service based on your history or your account preferences.
You can opt-out of having your mobile device IDs used for certain types of interest-based mobile advertising (also called â€ścross-app advertisingâ€ť), including by accessing the settings on your Apple or Android mobile device. For more detailed instructions on opting out of mobile device tracking, please visit: .
7. Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit â€śdo-not-trackâ€ť (â€śDNTâ€ť) signals to mobile applications with which the user communicates. We currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail under â€śService Usage Informationâ€ť above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser.
8. Opt-Out of E-mail Marketing
You can opt-out of our promotional e-mails by clicking the opt-out/unsubscribe link within the e-mail you receive. Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt-out request and that even if you opt-out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions, and communications with us.
9. Your Access Rights and Choices
Residents of certain U.S. States have state-law rights regarding use of their Personal Information. While some of these laws may not apply to not-for-profit organizations, we value your privacy and permit consumers who are residents of these states to exercise similar control over their Personal Information.
Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
- If you are a California consumer, you may opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information to third parties at any time. If you opt-out, note that we will not provide your Personal Information to any third parties, and we will not be able to offer you personalized ads. You may make a request to opt-out of the sale or sharing of your Personal Information .
- If you are a Virginia, Utah, Colorado, or Connecticut consumer, you may opt-out of the sale of your personal data and the processing of your personal data for targeted advertising. You may make this type of request .
Access, Correct, or Delete Personal Information
- Consumers in certain U.S. States may have rights regarding use of their Personal Information. We provide means for these consumers to make these types of requests, including requests to: obtain certain information about the Personal Information we collect about you; correct inaccurate Personal Information about you; to delete your Personal Information.
- When you make any of these requests, you will need to provide your name, email address, and country/state of residence. You may authorize another person (your â€śagentâ€ť) to submit a request on your behalf. Once you submit your request, we will contact you with instructions for how to verify the request. We strive to complete verified requests as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with applicable law. Please note that it may take additional time to verify and fulfill agent-submitted requests.
- To make a request to access, correct, or delete your Personal Information, you may make this request .
EEA and UK Consumers
In countries within the EEA, and in the UK, you have the right, in certain circumstances, to (i) require us delete your Personal Information, (ii) require us to restrict processing of your Personal Information (for example, if you contest the accuracy of that information), (iii) receive a copy of the Personal Information you provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or instruct us to transmit that data to a third party; and (iv) object to our continued processing of your Personal Information, for direct marketing (including profiling) or other purposes. You can exercise these rights .
You may object to personal data processed pursuant to our legitimate interest. In such case, we will no longer process your personal data unless we can demonstrate appropriate, overriding legitimate grounds for the processing or if needed for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims. You may also object at any time to processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes. You may make these objections . In such cases, your personal data will no longer be used for that purpose.
10. Additional U.S. State Law Privacy Rights
California. Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California have the right to obtain certain information about the types of personal information that companies with whom they have an established business relationship (and that are not otherwise exempt) have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year, including the names and addresses of those third parties, and examples of the types of services or products marketed by those third parties. If you wish to submit a request pursuant to Section 1798.83, you can do so .
Nevada. If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of certain personal information to third parties who intend to license or sell that personal information. You can exercise this right . Please note that we do not currently sell your personal information as sales are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A.
14. Childrenâ€™s privacy
15. Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at:
AP200 Liberty Street New York, NY 10281 +1 212.621.1500
APTelevision News Limited The Interchange, Oval Road, Camden Lock London, NW1 7DZ (44-20) 7482-7400
We hope that can resolve any query or concern you may raise about our use of your information. Individuals located in the EEA or the UK have the right to lodge a complaint with an applicable supervisory authority.